[lug] xv with cron and screensaver

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 30 16:52:20 MST 2003

I run a cron job early every morning that that displays a series of
images with xv.   When I attempt to page through the images using the
space bar the xv window(s) disappear.  I had this problem back with
RH7.2 and it was solved by putting the following line in my Perl script:

$ENV{DISPLAY} = ':0.0';

The lines in the script that run xv are:

system "/usr/X11R6/bin/xv -display :0.0 -geometry -314+5 *.jpg &";
system "/usr/X11R6/bin/xv -display :0.0 -geometry -15+5 *.png &";

Since I installed SuSE v9.0 I have not been able to get this to work.  I
believe it is related to the screensaver.  If I set the cron job to run
at a time when I am working on the machine, i.e no screensaver running,
everything works as expected.  If the screensaver is running when the
job runs, the xv window(s) will disappear when I attempt to page through
the images.  The following message is emailed to me when I attempt to
page through the images:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
 Major Opcode:  40
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
 Major Opcode:  40

Cheers,
Gary

P.S.  I sent this post yesterday and it never came through.  When this
happened before I wasn't seeing any posts, but this time several have
come through since my first attempt, including one from me.  So,
hopefully this won't be duplicated.