[lug] Seeking thoughts on this crash

Chuck Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Wed Dec 31 11:10:06 MST 2003

Gary Hodges wrote:

> As often happens when I send an email, I see a typo the moment I hit
> send.  It was actually a KRUD9 install the first time, though I don't
> think this changes the point of your suggestion.  Regarding your first
> question, I only ran that performance test once while I had KRUD9
> installed but was for 58 minutes if I remember correctly.  Now it locks
> fairly quickly.

While my first inclination would be hardware, testing with the original
- worked once at least - system would point you in the right direction,
I think. Of course if it's software it may be something other than the
kernel settings. There could be libraries that could be different and
cause issues too.

>> You didn't have anything else to do this weekend, did you ?
>

> Lets see...  New Year's....  Drink, recover, drink, recover....

gee, a four day bender... just the time for some serious debugging. ;)

> I actually have a spare drive sitting next to me that I could install
> KRUD9 on.  Is there an option during the install to make a boot floppy?
> I don't remember.  I'd like to be able to just do the install, run the
> test, pull that drive and have everything back to normal.

I'd just install it on the second drive and use lilo to select which one
to use. when you take out the drive just edit lilo.conf to take out the
references to the second drive. I haven't trusted floppies for quite a
while.

> What about a kernel recompile first?  Maybe try an older kernel, or
> whatever one KRUD9 uses?

If you get your jollies from recompiles, go for it. But without booting
into krud9 you don't know what the original settings were.