[lug] Seeking thoughts on this crash

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 31 11:32:26 MST 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> Chuck Morrison wrote:
>
>> While my first inclination would be hardware, testing with the
>> original - worked once at least - system would point you in the right
>> direction, I think. Of course if it's software it may be something
>> other than the kernel settings. There could be libraries that could
>> be different and cause issues too.
>

> Have you eliminated heat (chipset and CPU) as the culprit?

After the first crash I started monitoring the CPU temp.  If you believe
the accuracy of lmsensors it was at 66.9 deg C once and 66.7 deg C
another time.  These are withing a degree that the original 1.4 Athlon
ran at, and the same temp as during my first performance test after
installing the new CPU.  The HSF is from PC Power and Cooling and is
rated for up to something like 3200+ CPU's.  I did replace a seized
chipset fan at the time I replaced the CPU.  I didn't know it had seized
before I observed all the fans with the case open.  Maybe the
replacement has too.  I've had problems with other computers in the past
due to heat, so it is something I'm always worried about.  I wish these
CPU's ran cooler, but according to specs even 66 deg C is well under max
operating temps.

I've actually seen this Machine Check Exception error somewhere before,
but I just can't remember the situation.

And just so I don't post a separate message...  Will the stock RH/KRUD9
kernel recognize drives using ReiserFS?

Cheers,
Gary