[lug] xv with cron and screensaver

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 19:47:02 MST 2003

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 04:52:20PM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
>
> >space bar the xv window(s) disappear.  I had this problem back with
> >RH7.2 and it was solved by putting the following line in my Perl script:
>

> I'm wondering if your problem is related to the x authentication.  Just
> setting the display is no longer enough to allow you to access the X
> display.  You have to have a magic cookie to give to the X server to
> prove you're allowed to access the X server.

I would bet that this is a very strong possibility. The xv stuff is
likely NOT running as the user that is logged in at the X11 session. As
a test, one could do this to allow any local user to display on the
current X11 session:
   xhost +localhost

If that works, then something more permanent could be added.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net