[lug] kpilot and Zire 21

Todd Ruskell truskell at Mines.EDU
Thu Jan 1 20:07:10 MST 2004

Liz,
Did you get your Zire working?  I jsut set up a Tungsten over Christmas to
work with Debian, and here's some of what I learned:

Use hotplug to manage the USB devices, which it already looks like you're
doing.

I usually just rebuild my kernel, but Krud may already have the
required modules present.

When building your kernel, make sure you have the required modules.  I
took the "big stick" approach, and compiled virtually all possible USB
drivers as modules.  In particular, though, make sure you have "USB
Serial Converter support" and the "USB Handspring Visor/Palm m50x/Sonly
Clie Driver", and possibly the "USB Compaq iPAQ/HP Jornada/Casio EM500
Driver" compiled as modules.

Hotplug recognized my Tungsten using the Handspring Visor driver, at
apparently *both* ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, but kpilot would only see it on
ttyUSB1.

Now it seems to "just work."

You might want to try out www.linux-usb.org  I got some good help from
there.