[lug] Advice for a incoming Colorado newbie

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Mon Jan 5 13:37:25 MST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03:56AM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> My name is Jordan Crouse, currently of Salt Lake City, but soon to hail
> from the Boulder / Longmont area.
>
> I'm in the process of getting all my ducks in a row to move, so I turn
> to you for advice on the geekiest (and therefore most important)
>
> 1) Internet connectivity:  High speed is mandatory (I have a cable modem
> right now, and I don't even want to contemplate going back to dialup).
> What options are available (cable, DSL, etc)?   What providers are the
> most Linux and geek friendly?  Are there any areas around Boulder /
> Longmont that are *not* wired for high speed?  Personally, I would
> prefer DSL with a static IP, but really, any high speed / always on
> connections will do.

When I moved to Boulder County 8m ago, neither cable nor DSL were available
where I live (Lafayette). We got cable in Nov. Qwest promises DSL in
early 2004. Exercise caution in choosing where you live.

> 2) Television:  Is cable or satellite preferred?  Who is the cable
> company, and what is their track record?   Here in Utah, everyone has
> Comcast, and hates them universally.

I have Comcast because of package deal for broadband internet. Basic
TV programming is junk. Much worse than DirecTV was in Calif. where I
came from.

> 3)  Location:  Are there any neighborhoods or areas that are wired for
> fiber?  Where would be the ideal place for a Linux geek to live?

Fiber is everywhere, but not all of it is hooked up. I.e. DSL 'real
soon now', but not today in some places.

> 4) Is there anything else I need to know before making the move?

Don't take real estate peoples' word for broadband availability unless
person is clearly a geek. There are holes in the service areas.

Some areas are served by broadband wireless from a nearby mountain top.