[lug] Advice for a incoming Colorado newbie

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:01:11 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:37, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03:56AM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > Greetings -
> >
> > My name is Jordan Crouse, currently of Salt Lake City, but soon to hail
> > from the Boulder / Longmont area.
> >
> > I'm in the process of getting all my ducks in a row to move, so I turn
> > to you for advice on the geekiest (and therefore most important)
> >
> > 1) Internet connectivity:  High speed is mandatory (I have a cable modem
> > right now, and I don't even want to contemplate going back to dialup).
> > What options are available (cable, DSL, etc)?   What providers are the
> > most Linux and geek friendly?  Are there any areas around Boulder /
> > Longmont that are *not* wired for high speed?  Personally, I would
> > prefer DSL with a static IP, but really, any high speed / always on
> > connections will do.

Well, I currently use DSL (haven't seen many replies yet that do).
ADSL, technically, 640/256, although I know they have SDSL.  Since my
ISP is CU (= free for me), I don't have a static IP or the like, but
other ISPs like Indra or whoever should do it pretty easy.

As for Qwest's service, I have nothing but good things to say.  I had
one problem where a tech came out and had to replace some line from the
pole to my buildings main panel.  Did it quickly and cleanly.  I've also
needed to have cards changed at the central office, and that happened
pretty fast too.

Right now they rent out Actiontec gateways that I've never had a problem
with in re Linux.  Of course, CU used to use bridging so it is really
hard to have a problem that way.  (They're going to PPP so I'll be
asking some questions on the group soon, I bet.)

> > 2) Television:  Is cable or satellite preferred?  Who is the cable
> > company, and what is their track record?   Here in Utah, everyone has
> > Comcast, and hates them universally.

Well, I do cable cause I'm in an apartment building.  If you go Comcast
and you want premium, you're probably stuck with digital cable.  Don't
know if you care, but there you go.  I can't comment on their HDTV yet,
as I'm a grad student and not that wealthy, but they have about 7
channels on that.

Matt

--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!