[lug] Seeking thoughts on this crash

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Mon Jan 5 14:15:21 MST 2004

On 2004-01-05 11:41 -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Gary Hodges wrote:
>
> >Peter Hutnick wrote:

> >>Have you eliminated heat (chipset and CPU) as the culprit?
> >

> >After the first crash I started monitoring the CPU temp.  If you
> >believe the accuracy of lmsensors it was at 66.9 deg C once and 66.7
> >deg C another time.  These are withing a degree that the original 1.4
> >Athlon ran at, and the same temp as during my first performance test
> >after installing the new CPU.  The HSF is from PC Power and Cooling
> >and is rated for up to something like 3200+ CPU's.  I did replace a
> >seized chipset fan at the time I replaced the CPU.  I didn't know it
> >had seized before I observed all the fans with the case open.  Maybe
> >the replacement has too.  I've had problems with other computers in
> >the past due to heat, so it is something I'm always worried about.  I
> >wish these CPU's ran cooler, but according to specs even 66 deg C is
> >well under max operating temps.
>
> It looks like heat was playing a part in the crashes.  I changed the
> physical location of the computer and the CPU runs ~4 deg C cooler while
> processing large amounts of data.  I have reprocessed data several times
> now without crashing, so it must be that the CPU was getting too hot.
> Before the break it also locked up while in screensaver mode which had
> never happened before.  It seems to me that the CPU has become more
> sensitive to heat.  I should probably RMA the bugger.
>
> Thanks for all the comments on this.

I just dug though the archives and my quick greps didn't reveal a
mention of the north bridge.  Do you have a fan on the heatsink of the
north bridge?  I did a similar upgrade to an Asus motherboard and the
difference of 2 degrees F would tip the system over the edge.  Dropping
a fan on the northbridge blowing down over the heatsink and adding a
case fan that would pull in ouside ambient air that just so happened to
blow over the north bridge made a huge different.

It has been my experience that the north bridge is more susceptible to
errs due to temperature changes than the processor.

--
-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net