[lug] Advice for a incoming Colorado newbie

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 5 16:01:49 MST 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 09:03 am, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> 2) Television:  Is cable or satellite preferred?  Who is the cable
> company, and what is their track record?   Here in Utah, everyone has
> Comcast, and hates them universally.

p.s. .....

Forgot to answer the TV part... Throw the TV away.  Heh.  Just kidding.

Seriously though, Dish and Comcast are in a bidding war out here... you can
get some pretty nice deals on Dish if you like satellite.  3 rooms installed
and/or cheap/free PVR's... stuff like that.  [As a long-time Dish customer it
bums me out that I'd have to pay to add a third receiver in my office (to
plug into the computer for experimenting with stuff like MythTV, etc...) but
new customers get it for free... kinda lame... oh well.  I guess I paid for
yours.  :-) ]

> 3)  Location:  Are there any neighborhoods or areas that are wired for
> fiber?  Where would be the ideal place for a Linux geek to live?

McMurdo Station, Antartica.  Penguins like the cold.  Of course it's
"summertime" down there right now... :-)

> 4) Is there anything else I need to know before making the move?

Boulder's housing market is grotesquely expensive... the further you can get
out of Boulder County, the better.  New highway construction up there (E-470
tollway and work on the bypass near Longmont) has made certain commutes from
Longmont, Loveland, and surrounding areas easier into Boulder... and probably
won't show up on any but the very very newest maps.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com