[lug] Advice for a incoming Colorado newbie

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Jan 5 16:09:19 MST 2004

At 03:50 PM 1/5/2004, Nate Duehr wrote:
>On Monday 05 January 2004 01:37 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > Don't take real estate peoples' word for broadband availability unless
> > person is clearly a geek. There are holes in the service areas.
>
>For DSL and Cable both, ask for the current phone number of the house when
>you
>get to a point where you've found something interesting enough to pursue and
>then go put that phone number in the locators for both types of service and
>see if they think you have service at that location.

That's not an absolute guarantee, unfortunately. I've had both kinds of
problem with this: the locator says service is available, guy comes to the
site and finds no service; and locator says service is unavailable or costs
lotsa extra bux, guy comes to the site and says no problem. The fine print
on most of the locator pages is that they'll refund your money if it turns
out you can't actually get service. For a while in my neighborhood, there
wasn't actually enough copper to supply DSL or ISDN to everyone, even
though the locator said service was available.

>I wholeheartedly recommend Front Range Internet (www.frii.net) if you go with
>DSL.  Extremely clueful admins, and they're the best ISP I've ever seen about
>outage notifications via e-mail... no other ISP I've ever had told me about
>every single little network problem like these guys do, and I like the
>transparency very much.

I agree. I had ISDN service through them. One thing to note with most of
these guys is how the service term is structured. Earthlink and Comcast are
set up so you contract for one year minimum and then after that you can
cancel with some short-ish notice period (30 days usually). FRII's terms
(at that time) were one year minimum and then automatic one-year renewal if
_you_ don't remember and contact _them_. Not keeping close track of my
contract expiration date, and not hearing from FRII before it, I was
surprised when I went to cancel (to switch to SDSL which they didn't offer
at the time) that I'd renewed for a whole year about 2 weeks before. They
did release me from it, but they grumbled about it. Since then I've been
more careful.