[lug] OT: Dealing with Unreliable Mail/DNS Servers

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Jan 6 15:06:32 MST 2004

The problem appears to be that I was getting an authoritative NXDOMAIN
response. I think I found the workaround.

The problem was sendmail first makes a AAAA DNS request. Certain broken
DNS servers incorrectly return a SERVFAIL or NXDOMAIN response rather
than the correct response of "No Records". For sendmail, the workaround
appears to be to add a magic

define(`confBIND_OPTS',`WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')

entry into the .mc file and re-generate the .cf file using M4.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm
Voice: 303 438 9585