[lug] Linux 802.11b (broadcom)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jan 9 21:09:40 MST 2004

On Friday, Jan 9, 2004, at 17:51 America/Denver, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> Need advice on what 802.11b PCI wireless LAN card folks are using
> successfully with Linux.

Older Linksys (sorry, had to say it), and Lucent/Orinoco cards all
working here.

> I bought a Linksys WMP11 PCI 802.11b card, because I had read up on
> it earlier and it worked with Linux (prism drivers from Linux-WLAN).
> Well, I didn't check again before I bought it, because it turns out
> Linksys completely changed the chip set on this card, (with the same
> damn
> name), so that now it uses an unsupported-in-Linux Broadcom chip set.
> Frustrating.

Frustrating enough to say something to the vendor, I'd say.  Not
changing the name is stupid.

I'd definitely return them and write a letter to Linksys expressing
your disappointment and listing the name of the card you ultimately end
up using saying that you purchased a competitor's product because of
their poor engineering decision.

I let vendors know when they did something to lose my business.  They
don't have any other way to know how their decisions might be wrong for
their customers.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com