[lug] how to handle open files - upload server

Jani Averbach jaa at jaa.iki.fi
Tue Jan 13 10:23:20 MST 2004

On 2004-01-13 09:49-0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

> The case I'm wondering about: How to detect in that regular cron job if
> the file is open (and probably growing) right at the time because it's
> being uploaded right then... so the cron doesn't attempt to move it to
> the other machine in the middle of an upload.

I have done a backup system which used a flag files (size 0) to
indicate when transfer was completed. It worked quite well. So you
could provide your users a script that will create (transfer) those
flag files for you. If that is not an option, then, well, you
have to came up with some other solution (lsof). =)

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach