[lug] recovering sudo w/o root

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Wed Jan 14 11:43:09 MST 2004

Humm.. Use a recovery CD, mount the root partition, edit the file to the
  correct form.

Otherwise, no. I don't think you can.

-M

Michael Wegener wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was in a rush adding a user to the sudoers file and stupidly forgot
> about using visudo, tried to edit it directly, using "sudo u+w sudoers."
> Now, every sudo call reports that the mode is wrong and exits. This
> would be no problem if I had the root password, but the only person I
> know who *may* have it (long story) is incommunicado. Is there any way
> out of this, or do I have to hunt this person down? I know how to
> recover the root password, but this machine is our only webserver right now.
>
> --M
>
> Michael
>
> Michael Wegener, /Director of Technology/
>
> Knowledge Factor
>
> /Information into Advantage/
>
> 303-748-8313 Mobile
>
> mwegener at knowledgefactor.net <mailto:mwegener at knowledgefactor.net>
>
> www.knowledgefactor.net <http://www.knowledgefactor.net/>
>

> This E-mail message and attachments are for the sole use of the intended
> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
> reply E-mail, and destroy all copies of the original message.

Michael R. Belanger                     http://www.ambientblue.org
Freedom through Chaos                   Yahoo!:  darthwonka
                                         MSN:     mrbelanger at hotmail.com
                                         Jabber:  mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
"We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.."