[lug] recovering sudo w/o root

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jan 14 16:05:09 MST 2004

David Morris wrote:
> One note:  I HIGHLY recommend that someone knows the root
> password to any system.  If there is a boot problem that
> requires the system to be fixed in single-user mode before
> it can boot properly, you must have the root password.

Get some index cards and envelopes.  Write the system name and
root password on the index card.  If you do not trust your
environment, put it in the envelope, seal it and toss it into the
boss's desk/safe/whatever.  Not casually encountered, but
available if necessary.

If you trust your environment, tape the envelope to the inside of
the case.  Slip the index card into the envelope.  Always
available in a known place.

There's also a strategy to split the difference - put the index
card in the envelope, seal it, and then tape it in the case.  Sign
across the flap to detect somebody sneaking a peek.