[lug] any geforce4 ti series experience?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jan 16 11:25:37 MST 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 08:35 am, The Matt wrote:

> Well, maybe the 5200 is low-end enough.  What I call "floppy-cable"
> cards are the high-end ones (say GeForce 5900 or ATI 9800) that require
> extra power because the AGP power spec is way under what an uber-card
> needs.

Ahhh!  I get it.  My card MIGHT have one of those.  I don't remember...

> When the Radeon 9700 (and maybe the Ti4600) came out, it included an
> adapter to supply the extra power.  The adapter was for a floppy power
> cable or a molex four-pin.  I always used a floppy since there was
> always one around (my power supply wasn't that great).  Now, however, I
> don't think you use floppy power cables anymore.  The FX5900 has a
> molex four-pin connector:
>
> http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/VGA/Inno3D_5900/1010.htm

This is the reason I don't remember... if it had a place to just plug in
power, I probably did it without thinking about it.  Don't think it did
though.  I could look if anyone cares.

[Heck the case has one of those silly plexi holes in it, so I could
probably look without opening the case!  :-)  (In a moment of weakness, I
paid the extra $10 for a "cool" case that had plexi sides and a blue
light inside... and the motherboard (DFI) has UV-active plastic that
glows under the light... looks neat, but of course, being that I play
with RF toys (ham radio) too, this ultimately turned out to be rather
stupid on my part -- oh goodie, let's let even MORE RF TRASH out of the
PC case.   Duh.  Oh well.  I'm interfering with myself.  What an idiot.
Ha!]

> Sorry for my terminology,

Nothing to be sorry about... that's why I asked ... a question!  :-)

Heh.

In general the 5200 works pretty well.  The real drivers from Nvidia seem
faster than any of the open-source stuff for them, which is a minor
annoyance I guess... but all cards are headed that direction lately, it
seems.  (I'm so rarely in need of "speed" I really don't care.  I think
Mandrake 9.2 is on that box right now, and it autodetected and set up the
driver and asked me if I wanted hardware acceleration... that was kinda
spiffy... during the installation.)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com