[Fwd: Re: [lug] Keyboard won't work until unplugged and replugged]

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon Jan 19 08:26:38 MST 2004

davey wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to linux and this list, but worked with Unix some years
> ago, and with pc's since 1984. I have just installed Fedora core-1 on
> an old 500 Mhz PC that has the large keyboard connector.  Fedora boots
> up fine, but the keyboard won't work until I unplug it and plug it in
> again, then I can type just fine.  Never had this problem with Windows
> on the same machine, and it's too consistent to be a loose
> connection.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem on RH9.  When I quit my X session (and gdm
runs) I have to unplug-replug my keyboard to get it to work.  Until I do
that, nothing.  (I.e. the numlock key won't cycle the LED.)

This is with an old AT keyboard with an AT to PS/2 adapter on a fairly
new MB.  (It's a 1.3ghz celeron system.)

I have no idea why or what to do about it.  Since a typical X session on
that system is about a month I don't worry about it much.

-Peter