[lug] Mozilla mail client misses messages?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jan 19 14:47:15 MST 2004

I just discovered something rather shocking while coding an
embedded Java mail client.  According to Mozilla 1.5, my inbox has
699 messages.  According to the Java client, it had over 800
messages.  When I check the mail spool directly (one of the
benefits of running your own mail server) I found over 800
individual messages.

Back in Mozilla, my inbox is fairly clean after the morning purge
of the spam that got through spamassassin.  The subject lines in
the Java mail client look like a drunk frat party minutes before
the police arrive.

I've manually purged a fair amount of the crap, but the Mozilla
message count is unchanged.  It's like Mozilla and my other client
are seeing entirely different mail spools, but I know that's not
the case.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?