[lug] Mozilla mail client misses messages?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Mon Jan 19 14:52:01 MST 2004

Bear wrote:

> I just discovered something rather shocking while coding an
> embedded Java mail client.  According to Mozilla 1.5, my inbox has
> 699 messages.  According to the Java client, it had over 800
> messages.  When I check the mail spool directly (one of the
> benefits of running your own mail server) I found over 800
> individual messages.

It sounds like you're seeing the results of Mozilla "tagging" messages
that have been deleted.  I saw the same behavior long ago, and was
worried about it, until I figured out that when you delete a message in
your Mozilla inbox, it appears to move to the Trash area and get purged
when you close the mail client... but that's not what really happens.

In reality, Mozilla "tags" the message as deleted and simply doesn't
render it in the Inbox.  IIRC it has some kind of goofy index file that
basically tells it what messages to show.  If you run a "compact
folders" command (under File, I think) it'll go through all its mail
files and clean up-- by removing the tagged messages for real.  At that
point your Java client should see the same thing.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, because I haven't used
Mozilla/Netscape mail for years.  KMail rocks. :)  (And incidentally,
KMail does the same thing-- tagging and indexing-- so it's probably
pretty common amongst mail clients.)

HTH,
Jeff