[lug] Debian install

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jan 21 17:03:50 MST 2004

On Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004, at 13:41 America/Denver, Gary Hodges wrote:

> I'm going to install Debian on a machine that currently has SUSE 9.0
> installed.  I know Debian doesn't auto detect hardware and I'm
> wondering if there are current files I should look at and/or save to
> facilitate the Debian install?  The machine has an Nvidea card and LCD
> monitor.  I've already saved the XF86Config file.

The modules.conf file... see what modules are loaded -- they'll be the
same and you can configure them during the module configuration during
the installation or later using "modconf".

I use the trick you did also, I boot Knoppix, grab the XF86Config file
and put that in Debian's X configuration.

Beta 2 of the new installer was released this week or last.  You may
want to try that out for your installation (maybe bugs, maybe clean
install... worth a try).  Info on where to find it was up on
www.debianplanet.com in one of the recent articles.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com