[lug] networking question

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Jan 21 23:02:27 MST 2004

Is there any throughput advantage to connecting two switches with two
ethernet cables as opposed to one?

case in point: I have a network upstairs with about 80 active nodes.  We
just put a network in downstairs that will have 72 active nodes
eventually.  There are switches downstairs serving that network and
switches upstairs (essentially we are forming a backbone).  The switches
are unmanaged.  I assume it is a good idea to have a second cable for
redundancy, I'm just curious to know if the throughput goes up.

Thanks,

Hugh