[lug] networking question

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Jan 22 07:54:28 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 23:02, Hugh Brown wrote:
> Is there any throughput advantage to connecting two switches with two
> ethernet cables as opposed to one?
>
> case in point: I have a network upstairs with about 80 active nodes.  We
> just put a network in downstairs that will have 72 active nodes
> eventually.  There are switches downstairs serving that network and
> switches upstairs (essentially we are forming a backbone).  The switches
> are unmanaged.  I assume it is a good idea to have a second cable for
> redundancy, I'm just curious to know if the throughput goes up.

The last managed switch I worked with did support this.  Up to 4 ports
could be used together.  It was a Bay Networks something or other.

What I think happens more often is a single gigabit uplink port combined
with 100 megabit switch ports.  I've seen many unmanaged 8 and 16 port
switches with this combination.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>