[lug] USB Mouse w/Debian

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jan 23 13:35:23 MST 2004

Gary Hodges wrote:

> The default install only includes a XF86Config-4 file.  While playing
> around I renamed that file without the -4 and it read it fine too.  I
> didn't try it with both filenames so I don't know which would take
> precidence.

Debian left the name "-4" because certain video cards the distro still
supports have to run on some platforms under version 3 servers that use
the "standard" filename without a number... and that X Server is still
available as a package -- so the package maintainers keep from stomping
on each other's toes by continuing the "transition" name in the distro
even after your machine has migrated.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com