[lug] /etc/mail/access rebuilding collisions (was how to handle open ...)

vlad vlad at modomail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:53:17 MST 2004

Hello back.  I should have read the whole thread before posting, my
apologies.    My previous post was just a one liner, but yes, there's
much better ways of doing it :)

In regards to your query, the problem I was seeing was rebuilding
/etc/mail/access.db on one of our mail servers.  During busy times, it's
automatically rebuilt quite often.  I *think* what is happening is that
sendmail tries to read it during a makemap rebuild and doesn't realize
it's in the process of being hashed.  The effects are missed entries
that sendmail doesn't read in.  The libc version is 2.2.4, but I have
two different versions of Redhat where one doesn't appear to have a
problem and the other does.  I haven't had a chance to really dive too
deep into it, but if there's a commonly known piece of information I'm
missing, I'd love to hear it.  I've tried recompiling sendmail with and
without flock and couldn't tell a difference (makemap, etc. too of course).

I see sendmail 8.12.11 is out and I haven't tested this one yet, but the
race condition mentioned in the release notes doesn't seem to be the
problem described above (however I have experienced that one as well).

Sorry for the late reply.

Cheers