[lug] Unable to ping netbios names from linux

Budyanto Himawan budyanto_himawan at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 20:45:21 MST 2004

Ah...yes I totally forgot about /etc/hosts.
I tried adding it there and it works. I also tried
winbindd. I needed to modify /ets/nsswitch.conf to
include wins for the hosts entry. Plus I need to put
an entry in lmhosts too.

Looks like /etc/hosts is much simpler.

Having said that it seems like there's no automatic
way to do this. I have to manually put in the address
mapping somehow. How does DNS servers get updated if
their entries consist of name to IP Address mapping
but  the IP addresses are DHCP addresses (they can
change over time).

--- David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Budyanto Himawan wrote:
> [...]
> > I have set up samba on linux and I'am able to
> share
> > linux directories with my windows xp. I can also
> > ping the linux server from then windows xp but I
> can't
> > do the reverse. I can't ping xp from linux by
> name.
>
> Ping doesn't know anything about WINS.  Linux (the
> name service switch
> in libc) doesn't use WINS, except for the Samba
> apps.
>
> [...]
>  > Since that
> > doesn't work I've also tried populating lmhosts
> with
> > ip and netbios name of xp and pass it with -H arg
> > nmbd.
> >
> > That still didn't work.

=====
Budyanto Himawan