[lug] Online filesystem resizing with JFS

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Jan 27 00:15:05 MST 2004

I just wanted to share with the group a cool feature that I was not
aware was available under 2.4 kernels: online filesystem resizing.

With JFS, online resizing is as simple as: mount -o remount,resize
/mount_point

I was amazed when I added 60GB to an existing 30GB filesystem (using LVM
and a new raid set), ran the above command, and viola, an extended
filesystem with no offline or down time.

I'm not sure if this is available with other filesystems under 2.4.  If
it is, please let me know.

-Rob