[lug] RAM based files, file systems

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 21:31:22 MST 2004

Steve Sullivan wrote:

> Is it possible to create files, or file systems,
> that exist only in RAM?  Long ago Solaris supported
> such a feature, but I don't find it in Linux.
>
> Kind of like /proc, but where users can write small temp files
> for better performance.

Just use the loopback device. If you check up on how to view an iso9660
file (not cd rom), such as created with mkisofs, then you also know how
to create and make filesystems with virtually any filesystem type in
ram. Whether something might get swapped out is another story. In
essense a loopback device can be made to look like any filesystem type,
and formatted, written, read, and mounted/umounted.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net