[lug] apt-get errors

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 29 12:49:39 MST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:01:49AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> On a particular machine I installed woody then upgraded to sarge.  The
> sources.list file referenced the "testing" version.  I ran "apt-get
> update" successfully a few times over a few days.  Then I changed
> "testing" to "sarge" in the sources.list file and immediately started
> getting errors like this:
>

> 99% [4 Sources gzip 0] [Waiting for headers]
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> Err http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Sources
>  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> 99% [5 Packages gzip 0] [Waiting for headers]
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> Err http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/main Packages
>  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> 99% [6 Packages gzip 0] [Waiting for headers]
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> Err http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Packages
>  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/testing/non-US/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> Failed to fetch
> http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/testing/non-US/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> Failed to fetch
> http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/testing/non-US/main/source/Sources.gz
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
>
> This morning I replaced "sarge" with "testing" in the sources.list file
> but I still get the same errors.  When I run an update it seems like
> most of the process works and it is only having problems with a
> couple/few packages.  For a few days I thought it must be a problem with
> file(s) in the archive(s), but I'm not seeing any recent reports of this
> with google.
>
> Gary

The aliases "stable", "testing" and "unstable" are implemented with links in the
repository file system. It would be very surprising to me, if they were the
source of the problem.

I use sarge and upgrade reqularly to keep up with the latest progress towards an
official release. I have seen error message similar to what you report, but not
often. When it happens I rerun apt-get update. Invariably it works on the
second try. I don't think I ever saw this when I was using Woody. I have always
it was just one of the features one gets when using pre-release software. Since
it seems to be self-healing, it is not, IMHO, a release critical flaw.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com