[lug] apt-get errors

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 29 19:49:46 MST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:01:50PM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:01:49AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> >

> >>sources.list file referenced the "testing" version.  I ran "apt-get
> >>update" successfully a few times over a few days.  Then I changed
> >>"testing" to "sarge" in the sources.list file and immediately started
> >>getting errors like this:
> >>

> >>99% [4 Sources gzip 0] [Waiting for headers]
> >>gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> >>Err http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Sources
> >>Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> >>

> >>Failed to fetch
> >>http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/testing/non-US/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> >>Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
> >>

> >>This morning I replaced "sarge" with "testing" in the sources.list file
> >>but I still get the same errors.  When I run an update it seems like
> >>most of the process works and it is only having problems with a
> >>couple/few packages.  For a few days I thought it must be a problem with
> >>file(s) in the archive(s), but I'm not seeing any recent reports of this
> >>with google.
> >>

> >The aliases "stable", "testing" and "unstable" are implemented with links
> >in the
> >repository file system. It would be very surprising to me, if they were
> >the source of the problem.
> >
> >I use sarge and upgrade reqularly to keep up with the latest progress
> >towards an
> >official release. I have seen error message similar to what you report,
> >but not
> >often. When it happens I rerun apt-get update. Invariably it works on the
> >second try. I don't think I ever saw this when I was using Woody. I have
> >always
> >it was just one of the features one gets when using pre-release software.
> >Since
> >it seems to be self-healing, it is not, IMHO, a release critical flaw.
> >

> I repeated exactly as I described above on another machine today.  I
> installed woody and then upgraded to sarge.  Maybe something I have
> installed you don't, or maybe I've made the same mistake twice.  I get a
> message after each attempt to run update again to fix the problems, but
> it never does.
>
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> Gary

The steps for installing woody and then upgrading to sarge involve (at
a minimum)

Install Woody however you can
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include lines appropriate for Woody
Finish the install of Woody over the net (especially security updates)
  (This should include apt-get update)
Change /etc/apt/sources.list to include line items for sarge
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Is it the first or the second use of apt-get update that has the problem?

Have you tried using aptitude?

I'm puzzled. Don't have problem like this. I follow both debian-user and
debian-testing lists, and haven't noticed anything like this in either.
The dist-upgrade is rather long process in this particular case because
Woody and Sarge have incompatible versions of libc6.

Did your Woody install result in a system that passed some basic sanity
checks?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com