[lug] apt-get errors

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Fri Jan 30 08:42:32 MST 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 07:47:09AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 03:01:50PM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:

> >Install Woody however you can
> >Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include lines appropriate for Woody
> >Finish the install of Woody over the net (especially security updates)
> > (This should include apt-get update)
> >Change /etc/apt/sources.list to include line items for sarge
> >apt-get update
> >apt-get dist-upgrade
> >

> Those are essentially the exact steps I took on both machines.  The
> minor difference was on the first machine I change woody to testing then
> later to sarge.  The first machine I played around with for a few days
> before the upgrade to sarge, the second I pretty much installed woody
> then upgraded to sarge.
>
> >Is it the first or the second use of apt-get update that has the problem?
> >
> First, second, third, fourth, fifth, etc....

If it was the *first* use of apt-get update, in the sequence that I outlined,
you were not sucessful in your install of Woody. You can save a lot of time
in debugging this, by not attempting to go on until you have Woody correctly
installed.

Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list files?
i.e. the one that you were using to complete your install of Woody, and the
one that you used in the attempt to migrate to Sarge (Actually, I'm not
much interested in the second at this stage, since I'm thinking that there
is something wrong with the install of Woody.)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com