[lug] Linux mentioned in CrossTalk

Andrew Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Sat Jan 31 11:21:33 MST 2004

CrossTalk is the Journal of Defense Software Engineering.  Last month
there was an article about the Fire Support Software Engineering folks
gaining level 5 in their maturity model.

Anyway, the important bit was at the end of the article -- they've moved
all the tactical fire support systems to linux.
<quote>
Open Systems Operating System. The FSSE is one of the first to move all
tactical systems from vendor-specific operating system solutions to a
solution based on a free and open system operating system kernel (i.e.
Linux). This has relieved the FSSE from being held hostage to external
vendors and their market-driven desires, and provided uniform processes,
tools, and engineering methodologies to be applied across the multiple
systems that the FSSE is responsible for maintaining and enhancing for the
Army and Marine Corps.
</quote>

We're fielding the new AFATDS system in my MLRS (rocket) battery next
month, so I'll be able to tell you firsthand how true this is.

You can read the whole article at
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/CrossTalk/2004/01/0401Smith.html.  The
magazine just lost its funding, so no idea how long the link will be up.

FSSE's web site is at http://sill-www.army.mil/fsse/index.htm.

--
Andrew R. Diederich
Captain, Field Artillery