[lug] making eps graphics

J. Wayde Allen wallen at village.org
Mon Feb 2 13:28:08 MST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Andrew Diederich wrote:

> I'm trying out LaTeX again, and it looks like the best way to incorporate
> graphics are with eps.

Yes and no, it depends on the graphic package you are using.  If you are
using the old psfig graphics package you will want things to be in eps
format.  The newer graphics packages (graphic or graphicx) will accept
different formats.

> Is there a good tool out there where I should make the graphics in
> from scratch, or can I cange the original graphics to eps through a
> filter?

This also depends on the kind of graphics you are making.  For simple line
diagrams something like xcircuit <http://xcircuit.ece.jhu.edu/> works
pretty well.  For graphical plots there is always gnuplot
<http://www.gnuplot.info/>.

- Wayde
  (wallen at village.org)