[lug] [ot] MX backup partners

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Feb 7 17:26:27 MST 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:42:25PM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>In my experience, 1 day is very much the exception.  E-mail is actually
>quite robust, and the 4- or 7-day expiration most servers use is

We've seen people moving to much shorter queue times recently for a
number of resons.  One being that when you're an ISP handling millions
of message a day (for example), the 7 day expiration starts eating up a
lot of space for spam and virus bounces.

Another problem is that their users are asking for it.  Really.  The
common case is somone has "leave messages on server" checked, and
somebody sends them a really important message, but they are over quota.
As far as they're concerned, that message was lost.  Getting a bounce 7
days later is an eternity for some people.  So they end up calling the
ISP and complaining about lost mail.  A significant number of people
would like a fast bounce instead of the message getting retried until it
goes through.

We have one client that has pushed their queue lifetime down to 4 hours
on their incoming e-mail server.

Sean
--
 Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something
 you HAVE done than regret something you haven't done.