[lug] EETimes Article

Grep Ergo Sum - I grep therefore I am dwh at surfingpenguin.com
Wed Feb 11 12:13:30 MST 2004

> I think the article is based on an illogical argument.
>
> The argument, as I take it is:
>    Some people in the Linux community write evil viruses.

My read of the article is that Linux zealots are unreasonable and
generally vilify the author.  It's OS wars at its worst.

We all waddle after the flightless antarctic bird, but it's
certainly no excuse to start a holy war.  It's the old
BSD/SYSV argument revisited.

Here's what I do:

1. Acknowledge that the listener has made a valid choice with Microsoft.
2. Explain that I use Linux because I, too, have made a valid choice.
3. Have a pleasant conversation consisting of Linux, sports scores, and
   current events.
4. Likely as not, the questions about Linux will be things like "so
   what's all the rage".

Nobody likes to talk to a wild-eyed Rasputin.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

                                Dave

Dave Hagerty
... and they that weave networks, shall be confounded.
Isaiah 19:9 (KJV)

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux."

"There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the
credit." - George C. Marshall