[lug] current state of bridging/ebtables

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 13:46:44 MST 2004

Since my bridge has had a hard drive fail, I thought I'd take the time
to upgrade some of its abilities with newer software. The previous
bridge used KRUD 7.3, had no IP addresses, and filtered. Some
customizing was required.

If I create a KRUD/Redhat 9.0 version of this, can anyone tell me what
issues I might run into? My goals are that this bridge will be a
filtering bridge. Previously this was done through ipchains, but I
believe iptables (or ebtables) would possibly be better. However, at the
time of creating this original bridge, there were still issues about
using iptables with bridging. I was satisfied then with non-stateful
filtering, I can live with that now, but would like some ability to do
this, along with QoS. Perhaps more interesting is MAC address filtering
instead of hardwired IP addresses. Can anyone tell me what
issues/frustrations I'll run into by using KRUD/Redhat 9.0 for a
filtering bridge?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net