[lug] current state of bridging/ebtables

Dan Ferris dan at ferrises.com
Thu Feb 12 14:06:40 MST 2004

Ebtables rocks.

I build a IDS/firewall with the ebtables patches.  If you want to do
simple filtering based on ethernet MAC addresses, IP addresses, and
ethernet protocol numbers you can use the ebtables binary.  If you want
to make a fancy firewall, you can use iptables.

Doing QOS with tc can be tricky for some things because you have two
interfaces to worry about (i.e. eth0 and the bridge interface).  I am
speaking from experience here, I tried to make a tc ingress filter on my
external ethernet interface and couldn't figure out why it didn't work.
  When I applied it to br0 it worked.

If you are building a firewall, you can't get much better.