[lug] Does mail speak SMTP?

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu Feb 12 16:44:21 MST 2004

I had always assumed that the "mail" application uses the system's local
MTA.  Yet, we just tried running it on a Redhat 7.3 box, and it appears
to try to go directly to the destination SMTP server.  Below is the
result of running "mail -v"

Am I correct in my assumption.  If so, is there a way to force "mail" to
use the local MTA?

### BEGIN TRANSCRIPT ###
[dreddy at hostname dreddy]$ echo "Now is the time for all men to come to
their good senses and leave the country."|mail -v bdhruva at gmx.net
bdhruva at gmx.net... Connecting to mx0.gmx.de. via esmtp...
220 {mx029} GMX Mailservices ESMTP
>>> EHLO rqimon.rqinet.net
250-{mx029} GMX Mailservices
250-8BITMIME
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>>> MAIL From:<dreddy at rqimon.rqinet.net>
550 5.1.8 {mx029} Cannot resolve your domain
/home/dreddy/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/dreddy/dead.letter
Closing connection to mx0.gmx.de.
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 {mx029} GMX Mailservices
### END TRANSCRIPT ###