[lug] Trying to set up print service for a iMac, need help

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Sun Feb 15 20:27:19 MST 2004

I have recently acquired a Ruby iMac DV, which I am connecting to my
home LAN. I've installd netatalk on the Linux machine which has big
disks and printer attached. There is no problem with file sharing. The
Mac found the shares and allowed me to create a desktop icon for each
just fine. But I see no indication of the printer. Netatalk docs
indicate that it does do printer sharing, but are sort of sparse on
how. The iMac is running OS 9.2, which, I'm told, does not support
CUPS.  What I read in netatalk doc is that it passes print requests on
to lpd pretty much without modification. But I am running CUPS for
other reasons. Also, the netatalk docs indicate that one really
doesn't need a papd.conf file, unless one is trying to do something
special, but don't indicate what they consider special. As far as I
can tell, it should just work, but it doesn't. Does anyone have any
experience with this? Any ideas?

TIA

--
Paul E Condon