[lug] Trying to set up print service for a iMac, need help

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Sun Feb 15 22:27:53 MST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:23:58PM -0700, Charles Hutchinson wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2004 08:27 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I have recently acquired a Ruby iMac DV, which I am connecting to my
> > home LAN. I've installd netatalk on the Linux machine which has big
> > disks and printer attached. There is no problem with file sharing. The
> > Mac found the shares and allowed me to create a desktop icon for each
> > just fine. But I see no indication of the printer. Netatalk docs
> > indicate that it does do printer sharing, but are sort of sparse on
> > how. The iMac is running OS 9.2, which, I'm told, does not support
> > CUPS.  What I read in netatalk doc is that it passes print requests on
> > to lpd pretty much without modification. But I am running CUPS for
> > other reasons. Also, the netatalk docs indicate that one really
> > doesn't need a papd.conf file, unless one is trying to do something
> > special, but don't indicate what they consider special. As far as I
> > can tell, it should just work, but it doesn't. Does anyone have any
> > experience with this? Any ideas?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Mac OS9.X is capable of printing to LPR printers which I am fairly sure CUPS
> can emulate.  Using the desktop printer utility you can create a printer
> object on your mac desktop pointing to your Linux machine and the print queue
> on it.

Now I reveal the depth of my ignorance: What is desktop printer utility?

I have tried choosing a printer in chooser. At first there was none to
be seen when I clicked on the LaserWriter 8 icon in Chooser. Then I made
a dummy entry in papd.conf and restarted netatalk. After that there appeared
a LaserWriter entry that I could select, and a button labeled 'Create'
When I click on that the barber pole patience bar appears and after about
30s the whole chooser window disappears and there is no desktop printer icon.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com