[lug] Trying to set up print service for a iMac, need help (more info)

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Mon Feb 16 10:41:26 MST 2004

I've got some more info on my problem. Hopefully it will be useful
clues for someone who knows more about how to fix this. Info is bottom
posted to make a more readable presentation.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:27:53PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:23:58PM -0700, Charles Hutchinson wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 February 2004 08:27 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I have recently acquired a Ruby iMac DV, which I am connecting to my
> > > home LAN. I've installd netatalk on the Linux machine which has big
> > > disks and printer attached. There is no problem with file sharing. The
> > > Mac found the shares and allowed me to create a desktop icon for each
> > > just fine. But I see no indication of the printer. Netatalk docs
> > > indicate that it does do printer sharing, but are sort of sparse on
> > > how. The iMac is running OS 9.2, which, I'm told, does not support
> > > CUPS.  What I read in netatalk doc is that it passes print requests on
> > > to lpd pretty much without modification. But I am running CUPS for
> > > other reasons. Also, the netatalk docs indicate that one really
> > > doesn't need a papd.conf file, unless one is trying to do something
> > > special, but don't indicate what they consider special. As far as I
> > > can tell, it should just work, but it doesn't. Does anyone have any
> > > experience with this? Any ideas?
> > >
> > > TIA
> >
> > Mac OS9.X is capable of printing to LPR printers which I am fairly sure CUPS
> > can emulate.  Using the desktop printer utility you can create a printer
> > object on your mac desktop pointing to your Linux machine and the print queue
> > on it.
>
> Now I reveal the depth of my ignorance: What is desktop printer utility?
>
> I have tried choosing a printer in chooser. At first there was none to
> be seen when I clicked on the LaserWriter 8 icon in Chooser. Then I made
> a dummy entry in papd.conf and restarted netatalk. After that there appeared
> a LaserWriter entry that I could select, and a button labeled 'Create'
> When I click on that the barber pole patience bar appears and after about
> 30s the whole chooser window disappears and there is no desktop printer icon.

I editted the papd.conf
file to contain:

LaserWriter: \
	:

as is recommended in netatalk docs for default setup.

After this LaserWriter 8 seems to function as the desktop printer
utility. It needs to be given a PPD file. When given the PPD file from
HP that if for my laserjet (HP LaserJet 5MP), it produces a desktop
printer icon. But when I send a file to the printer from MS Word for Mac,
I get an error message that the printer is not responding, so, it appears
that there is yet more setup to be done, but what?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com