[lug] PoPToP Performance

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Feb 18 21:15:10 MST 2004

SMB is really not the best performing protocol over limited bandwidth
connections. In general, using file based database systems over a VPN is
not going to perform well. Client/Server applications can perform
reasonably in this kind of environment.

Another issue is that upstream speeds on cable modems are dramatically
less than downstream. My upload rate is about 32KB/s. My download rate
is around 210 KB/s.

It looks to me like the largest share of your perceived latency is
caused by the asymmetrical nature. If you look at your upload rate with
SMB versus SCP, the difference is only something like 30%, which while
not wondrous, isn't extremely bad.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm
Voice: 303 438 9585