[lug] YAST=EVIL

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Feb 19 12:47:22 MST 2004

I just spent a few hours troubleshooting a SuSE 9.0 server installation.

Everything was fine until the security update was applied last night and
the machine rebooted.

All of a sudden, the NICs stopped working. The initialization script
just failed for eth0 and eth1.

I tried putting a hand-compiled kernel on thinking that something in the
new kernel was keeping things from working. It still didn't work.

At this point, in desparation I tried SuSE support. Their solution was
to roll back to the stock kernel level.

While on hold (15 minutes) waiting to receive this gem, it occurred to
me to delete the configurations for the interfaces, re-boot the machine,
and re-define the interfaces. Lo, and Behold! It worked.

I guess the next logical step for the future of YAST is to have it leave
parts of bad configurations behind, and then not-recreate them when the
interfaces are re-added. Once they do this, we will have complete parity
with Windows. The solution when things don't work will be to re-install
the OS.

ARRRGGGGG....

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.