[lug] OT power line communication

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 18:34:28 MST 2004

Paul E Condon wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:37:43PM +0000, BOF wrote:
>
> >Paul E Condon wrote:
> >

> >>The Denver Post business section has an article on power line use as a
> >>connection for internet traffic into the home.
> >>

> >This is also called Broadband Over Power Line (BPL): try searching
> >Google using this term.
> >
> >BPL is being touted as the solution to bringing highspeed Internet
> >access to everyone by those businesses who would profit it from it, and
> >seems to be in political favor in Washington with the FCC (who seem to
> >have been bought out by BPL lobbyists). However, The American Radio
> >Relay League has done studies on it and why it is not a good idea
> >because of massive interference with radio frequencies. From an
> >information page by the ARRL
> >
> >   Studies done by amateurs and regulators worldwide demonstrate
> >   conclusively that BPL that uses HF or VHF spectrum will cause
> >   serious degradation of the communications capability to nearby
> >   receivers on frequencies that BPL uses. HF is a unique international
> >   resource that is in use by commercial radio services, broadcasting,
> >   amateurs, government and military operators.
> >
> >See http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/ for more information on radio
> >interference.
> >
> >BOF
> >

> HF is 3 to 30 MHz. VHF is 30 to 300MHz. Are you aware of any technical
> reason why new developments might make use of these frequencies on
> open wires possible? Is this *really* what the FCC is proposing to
> test? And not really much bandwidth anyway. It sounds crazy. Unless,
> of course, it will screw more Democrats than Republicans. (Not likely.
> The same laws of physics apply. But who knows what they think.)

There is an interesting saying in the aircraft industry. If you put
enough engine on it, you can make anything fly...examples used
interchangeably in the saying are "typewriters" and "boat anchors".
Usually such a saying is told by people talking about glide ratios,
comparing old fighters like F4's with civilian craft (and crow bars).

You can use house wiring for such things too, if you pump enough into
it. Problem is, the waste and excess has to go somewhere, either heat or
radiated out as interference. I would have to guess that the person that
is pushing to do this considers a large (rusty) sledgehammer to be a
fine jeweler's tool, perhaps even suited for brain surgery.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net