[lug] Better X Server?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Feb 24 17:49:46 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 15:16, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> When I work at home, I run applications from my Linux box at the office,
> and display them on my boxen at home.  I have noticed that when
> displayed on my Apple PowerBook, the apps are much more responsive than
> on my Debian box.
>
> This has me wondering what I can do to have better X performance on my
> Debian box.  Is there anything I can do to tune it?  Is there another X
> server (commercial is fine, within reason) I can use?

It seems to me that your problem is network performance, not X server
performance.  I suspect it might be caused by the extensions your X
server supports.  Compare the list of X extensions on your Powerbook and
on your Linux box, and see what's different.  Use the xdpyinfo command.

One extension I'd suspect is Render.  I believe some applications look
for Render to decide if they can do fancy anti-aliased text, which gets
sent as bitmaps rather than text characters.

It could also be your bit depth.  Try using 16 bit instead of 24 or 32.

Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>