[lug] Better X Server?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 19:09:04 MST 2004

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> When I work at home, I run applications from my Linux box at the office,
> and display them on my boxen at home.  I have noticed that when
> displayed on my Apple PowerBook, the apps are much more responsive than
> on my Debian box.
>
> This has me wondering what I can do to have better X performance on my
> Debian box.  Is there anything I can do to tune it?  Is there another X
> server (commercial is fine, within reason) I can use?

I wonder if the MTU/MRU is lower when talking to the Apple box. Using
larger packet sizes means lower total overhead, but increases latency
and lowers the feel of responsiveness. Just as an experiment, you might
try changing the MTU/MRU on your debian box to something like 512+40 or
256+40 and comparing. You should be able to use ifconfig to do this
temporarily.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net