[lug] OT power line communication

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Tue Feb 24 20:12:13 MST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 05:27:32PM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 20:09:51 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > There used to be people at NIST who were on top of this technology.
> > Are they still there? Do any of them read this list?
>
> The answer to your questions is yes ... conditionally.  NIST's mission
> deals more with fundamental standards, not radio propagation or policy.
> This particular topic is closer to the mission of NIST's sister agency
> NTIA/ITS <http://its.bldrdoc.gov/index.php>.
>
> > What's going on with this BPL stuff?
>
> I was told I could post the following:
>
>    "The FCC adopted a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for BPL.  An NTIA
>     report should be available to the public in about 5 weeks, which will
>     make it among the first filings in response to the NPRM.  Over 5,190
>     filings were made under the FCC NOI on BPL."
>
> If this sort of thing interests you, take a look at the ISART conference
> coming up next week <http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.php>.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)
>
>       --------------------------------------------------------
>                             ISART 2004
>        International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
>          http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.php
>       --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Wayde. But now I have more questions. It looks like the center
of federal activity on the technical aspects of BPL is actually right
here in Boulder. Is there a library, or web site, open to the public
that contains hard science/engineering info on BPL? I have a PhD in
physics, and am a long standing member of IEEE, not afraid of math,
science, etc. I'd like to find out what changes in technology have
made BPL more feasible than it was in, say, 1960, when I last looked
seriously at MIT RadLab series on radar. I know there are policy
issues, but I'm not much interested in that aspect. Its the
science/technology that I'd like to understand.

Do some of the filings in response to the NPRM contain technical
discussion of alternative implementations? Are they available to
the public for reading?

Again, thanks for volunteering this info.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com