[lug] OT--Quality ethernet switches

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Feb 25 21:18:17 MST 2004

Stephen Queen wrote:
> I am working on an application where we are using ethernet
> in a harsh/noisy environement.

Hmm...  If the Netgear switch has a metal case then grounding it would
seem like an easy way to shield it from noise.  Or try another cheap
switch that does have a metal case you can ground.  Or am I wrong?

As for the cables, you can use shielded twisted pair which might get you
by without fiber.  I don't know how hard those are to work with, or to
ground with a cheap switch.  Maybe conduit would be easier.

Dave