[lug] OT: netware

hugh at math.byu.edu hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Feb 27 00:45:28 MST 2004

> Hugh Brown wrote:
>> My sister-in-law is writing a paper on operating systems for a business
>> class and wants to know what Netware is.  I've never actually interacted
>> with it as a standalone OS.  I read some of the documentation on the
>> novell site and it looks like it can be a standalone operating system.
>> I also got the impression that it's an operating system that no one
>> writes software for except novell and that the software they do write is
>> just for managing network wide resources like printing, file sharing,
>> account management, etc.
>
> No, there was (and probably still is) third party software for Netware.

So Netware is an operating system in it's own right?  It's not just a
bunch of software written on top of DOS?  I can start with an empty drive
and install Netware?  If tomcat runs on netware, which jvm does it use?  I
don't recall ever having seen Netware as an os choice on the sun java
download pages.

I'm still trying to get my head around this.

Hugh