[lug] OT: netware

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Feb 27 09:38:45 MST 2004

>> It was about as temperamental as a hammer.

This is true and false. 3.10 and 3.11 could be a major pain if you had a
flaky driver. You would just get abends out of the blue.

Also, from a design standpoint the NLMs or NetWare Loadable Modules ran
in Ring 0 of the kernel, so a bad piece of code from a vendor could take
out the server. I think to some extent part of what hurt Novell was the
fact that they relied on 3rd party drivers, and let 3rd party software
de-stabilize the OS.

On the other hand, even back in the 96-98 time frame I was routinely
having uptimes of 15 months on commodity hardware.