: [lug] OT: netware

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 27 13:23:27 MST 2004

On Feb 27, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Ken Weinert wrote:
> Sorry Nate, I guess some of use *are* the old farts you only imagine
> yourself to be :) :) :)

Oh, I know we are all on the path -- just at different points in the
journey to old-fart-dom.  ;-)

Heh, the truth of the matter is, we're both describing technology that
has been superseded with better technology... stuff that even we won't
use anymore because pragmatically that would waste our time now.  So
that's probably the official "rule of measure" for this.  A practical
question would be "How many different types of storage media have you
used in your career?"  LOL... wouldn't you like to see THAT one during
an interview?  Certainly would give the interviewer who had some
experience a way to quickly judge how long you'd been working in the
industry!

Of course, there are always "timeless" technologies that are created in
every generation/iteration, and then are still used that came from
those days -- Fortran comes to mind!  ;-)  Linux Format magazine
actually had a article about Fortran on Linux this month!  Nice!

I'm not claiming to be an Older-Than-Thou fart.  There's always an
older-fart around when you make THAT claim!  :-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com